Well 2018 is finally over. Not soon enough, frankly. I didn’t feel great about my reading this year. I let work steal much of my personal time and let a couple of binge-able TV series take the rest.
I did manage to read 28 books, which is certainly better than I thought. There were definitely some reading struggles this year – supporting friends through tragedy, separating from book club, tackling a very difficult and high-profile project at work – which has highlighted a need to make a more conscientious effort to read (AND to write about it).
Nevertheless, 2018 wasn’t a complete reading wasteland, and so here are a few highlights.
Favourite book of the year: Middlemarch. I’m actually embarrassed it took me this long to read it.
Best nerd book: The Elegant Universe. A bit brain-melting, however. You’ve been warned.
Best Bio: What Happened? This is also the question I ask myself when I realize I’ve read enough biographies in 2018 to warrant a best-of award.
Stupidest book: Fire and Fury.
Most bitter book: Life Sentence.
Least relevant book written by someone who’s written tons of books and as a result thinks they’re more relevant than they really are: David and Goliath.
And for those of you who are interested, here’s the complete list:
- Conversations with Friends (blog post pending)
- Nine Perfect Strangers – skip
- Savage Love – buy
- Moon Over Soho – borrow
- Weapons of Math Destruction – borrow
- Canada 150 Women – buy
- Midnight Riot – borrow
- Channel of Peace: Stranded in Gander on 9/11 – buy
- The Pope of Physics – buy
- The Coaching Habit – borrow
- The Devil in the White City – borrow
- Where’d you go, Bernadette? – borrow
- Religion for Atheists – buy
- Life Sentence – skip
- I Feel Bad About My Neck – borrow
- Good to a Fault – buy
- The Princess Diarist – buy
- Arrows of the Queen – borrow
- My Life as a White Trash Zombie – borrow
- Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House – skip
- Annihilation – borrow
- Homo Deus – skip
- Middlemarch – buy
- What Happened? – buy
- David and Goliath – skip
- The Culture Map – buy
- The Curve of Time – borrow
- The Elegant Universe – buy